Laser Hair Removal
We are pleased to offer state of the art laser treatments for the long term removal of unwanted hair for women, men and teens. This method is speciﬁcally designed to remove unwanted hair faster, less painfully and more effectively than traditional methods of long term hair removal such as electrolysis. Laser hair removal is FDA approved for “permanent hair reduction.” At ANEWU, we can treat all skin types safely and effectively.
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Lasers emit a speciﬁc wavelength of light that is attracted to a particular color. In this case the laser likes the color brown and black. The laser is ineffective in treating grey, white, blonde or red hair. The energy that is emitted by the laser is absorbed by the hair follicle. The follicle is heated up and is damaged preventing or retarding future hair production by that hair follicle. Hair grows in three cycles, active growth, regression, and resting stage. Only the hairs in their active phase of growth at the time of treatment can be damaged. Therefore, multiple treatments are required for optimal results.
What To Expect
- Average number of treatments is 3-5 for light skinned individuals. For dark skinned individuals or those with hormonal issues the average number of treatments may be greater than ﬁve.
- Treatments are generally performed every 6 weeks.
- During the treatment it feels like an elastic band snapping against the skin with heat dissipating from the area.
- Common side effects include redness and swelling which typically lasts 20 minutes to a few days.
- Rare side effects include blisters and scabs or pigmentation changes. To minimize this we do not treat tanned skin and test patch skin types that are predisposed to pigmentation changes.
How To Prepare For Your Consultation
- Do not tweeze, wax, bleach, use depilatory creams or have electrolysis for a few days to a few weeks prior to your consultation so that the hair can be accurately evaluated.
- If possible come in free of a tan or self tanner to the treatment area.
How To Prepare For Your Treatment
- Ensure that the area being treated is free from tan or a residual tan. If self tanner is present in the treatment area, please remove it with Head & Shoulders shampoo prior to arrival.
- If you are having a facial area treated, discontinue using Retin A or facial products that contain glycolic, beta or alphahydroxy acid three days prior to treatment and do not resume using it until the treatment area is free of any irritation.
- Accutane should not be used within 6 months prior to laser treatments and chemical peels typically should not be used for 2-3 weeks prior to and after laser treatments, depending on the peel.
- Shave the area within 24 hours of your treatment or use a bleaching or depilatory cream such as Nair or Sally Hansen a few days prior to treatment.
- If an anesthetic is being used, it should be applied as directed.
- All anesthetic, moisturizers and make-up should be removed prior to having the treatment.
- If you have a history of cold sores, herpes, or shingles in the area being treated you may need to start an antiviral medication to reduce the likelihood of recurrence.
What To Do After Your Treatment
- It is common to have mild redness and swelling (goosebumps) after the treatment and therefore icing for 15-30 minutes is recommended.
- Make-up may be applied immediately after treatment.
- The area may be washed with a gentle cleanser and Retin A may be resumed once the area is free from irritation, typically within three days.
- It is common to see brown or black dots in the area that has been treated. This is the dead hair. Typically these hairs will fall out within the ﬁrst three weeks of the treatment. The results are best appreciated three weeks after a treatment. Around week four new hair growth becomes apparent and by week six enough new hairs are present to warrant a treatment.
- Shaving may be resumed once the irritation to the skin has resolved.
- Refrain from having a chemical peel for a minimum of 2-3 weeks.
- If an antiviral medication was prescribed complete the course of medication as directed.
- Refrain from tanning for the duration of your treatments and for two weeks after your ﬁnal treatment. If you intend on tanning you may do so two weeks after a treatment however you many not return for a treatment until your skin has returned to its baseline color. If you are uncertain if you have a residual tan please call the ofﬁce as a test patch may need to be performed prior to resuming treatments.
- If you experience blisters or hyper or hypopigmentation changes (brown or white spots) or any other adverse effect please contact us at 603-882-9334.
Click here to see Before & After photos
Click here for our Scheduling and Payment Policies
Results may vary. ANEWU Medical Spa, P.C. is reputable for customer satisfaction for completed treatments. Unless otherwise noted, testimonials provided for ANEWU Medical Spa, P.C. are customers of ANEWU Medical Spa, P.C. who have undergone complete treatment(s). Individual results may vary. No treatment is promised to provide permanent results and a guarantee is neither provided nor implied. Read our full disclaimer here.