ANEWU Medical Spa is excited to offer the VI Peel, a medium depth, medical-grade chemical peel. This virtually painless chemical peel helps improve the tone, texture and clarity of the skin while providing several anti-aging benefits. It is safe for all skin types and ethnicities. For optimal results, we recommend a series of 3-4 VI Peels.
What is a VI Peel?
A VI Peel is a medium-strength, medical-grade chemical peel that helps to minimize signs of aging, including fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, hyperpigmentation, melasma and uneven skin texture, dullness and tone. VI Peel also targets acne and acne scarring and helps minimize pore size. VI Peel can also be used as an aging preventative for younger skin that has no visible signs of aging. VI Peel works by removing both the epidermis (the top layer of skin) and the uppermost section of the underlying dermal layers, allowing them to be replaced by smoother, brighter skin.
The VI Peel formula contains a proprietary blend of active ingredients, including salicylic acid, trichloroacetic acid (TCA), phenol, vitamin C, and retinoic acid. VI Peel is safe and effective on all skin types and can be used on the face, neck, chest, arms, back and legs. It is a virtually painless treatment that requires no skin preparation and has little downtime.
What are the benefits of a VI Peel?
- Improve the tone, texture and clarity of the skin.
- Reduce or eliminate age spots, freckles and hyperpigmentation, including melasma.
- Soften fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduce acne and scarring from acne.
- Stimulate the production of collagen, for firmer, more youthful skin.
What ingredients are in a VI Peel?
VI Peel is a blend of TCA or trichloroacetic acid, retinoic acid, salicylic acid, phenol, and vitamin C which work together to safely remove the damaged layers of the skin. Depending on which Vi Peel is used other ingredients may include hydroquinone, kojic acid, benzoyl peroxide and hydrocortisone. VI Peel promotes cellular turnover and refines the surface layer of the skin for a smoother, firmer, clearer and more youthful appearance.
What are the benefits of each of the components of a VI Peel?
Retinoic Acid – inhibits melanin (pigment) production and increases cell turnover and exfoliation.
Trichloroacetic Acid (TCA) – acts by boosting collagen and exfoliates the skin.
Salicylic Acid – acts to reduce the bacteria that cause acne by cleansing the pores, reducing inflammation.
Phenol – numbs the skin to allow for a pain free chemical peel application.
Ascorbic Acid – a powerful antioxidant that reverses free radicals, evens skin tone and helps prevent future damage.
Hydroquinone -helps to reduce pigment helping to both lighten and brighten the skin.
Kojic Acid – inhibits the production of pigment.
Which VI Peel do you offer?
We offer two VI Peel options:
- VI Peel Advanced
- VI Peel with Precision Plus.
What is the difference between VI Peel Advanced & VI Peel with Precision Plus?
VI Peel Advanced
VI Peel Advanced is the essential peel for maturing skin to help enhance collagen stimulation and to minimize fine lines, wrinkles and improve skin texture. The VI Peel Advanced is also effective in treating acne.
Ingredients, TCA, phenol, salicylic acid, retinoic acid and Vitamin C.
VI Peel with Precision Plus
VI Peel with Precision Plus is designed to help those concerned with sun damage, age spots, melasma, and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation as well as those affected by acne.
Ingredients TCA, phenol, salicylic acid, retinoic acid, Vitamin C, hydroquinone, and kojic acid.
How many treatments are needed?
For optimal results generally a series of 3-4 treatments are recommended. However, the number of treatments required will depend on each patient’s individual level of skin correction needed. Treatments are generally performed once every 2-4 weeks and maintenance treatments are generally recommended every 3 months to help prevent aging of the skin.
What are the side effects of a VI Peel treatment?
- Mild sunburn sensation
- Temporary red, brown or yellow tone to the skin.
- Peeling of the skin typically lasts 4-7 days however in some individuals peeling may take longer or be more extensive.
- Although generally a painless procedure some patients will experience discomfort after the peel that may last a few days.
- Those prone to acne may note a temporary acne breakout.
- Scarring. (Although scarring is rare, it is important not to pick or pull at the skin as it is peeling and adhere to the pre and post treatment instructions and to refrain from sun exposure during the course of your treatments)
- Hyper or hypopigmentation changes (It is not uncommon for age spots, hyperpigmentation and melasma that you are treating to become a little darker. Typically this is temporary, however in rare instances it can be permanent. It is important to adhere to the pre and post treatment instructions and to refrain from sun exposure during the course of your treatments).
- Cold sores/shingles. It is possible to reactive cold sores or shingles as result of treatment. If you are predisposed to cold sores or shingles in or around the treatment area you should discuss this with your provider so an anti-viral medication can be prescribed prior to treatment.
How long does it take to see results from VI Peel?
For optimal results, generally a series of 3-4 VI Peel treatments are needed, however, many patients will see significant results with just one treatment. Peeling typically lasts 7 days and results are generally seen within a week once peeling has subsided. However, continued improvement to the skin may be seen even months after a treatment.
What contraindications are there to VI Peel?
- Aspirin Allergy
- Use of Isotretinoin (Accutane) in the past 6 months.
- Active cold sores or herpes or shingles in or around the treatment area.
- Allergy to hydroquinone
- Immune disorders
- Phenol allergy
- Inflamed skin with open wounds in the treatment area.
- Liver conditions
- Chemotherapy or radiation in the past 6-12 months.