Dermal fillers are gel like products composed of collagen, hyluronic acid or calcium hydroxylapatite. They are used restore volume loss to the face. Hyluronic acid such as Juvederm® and Belotero Balance® are hydrophyilic, meaning that they act by absorbing water to help restore volume. Radiesse® is composed of calcium hydroxylapatite which actually acts to stimulate the body’s own natural collagen to restore volume (*).
How is Botox Cosmetic & Xeomin different from dermal fillers?
Botox® and Xeomin® do not ﬁll in space or add volume. They are drugs that block nerve transmission thereby relaxing the underlying muscles, smoothing ﬁne lines and wrinkles, preventing them from worsening (*). Botox® Cosmetic and Xeomin® are typically used in the upper one third of the face, while fillers are typically used in the lower two thirds of the face. In 2012, Belotero Balance® was introduced as a filler that could be used to upper one third of the face making it possible to further improve fine lines and wrinkles that cannot be fully corrected with Botox® or Xeomin® (*). In addition, Belotero Balance® can be used to other areas of the face for scars and fine lines. You can also earn Brilliant Distinction Points with Juvederm injectable fillers as well as Botox.
Where can dermal fillers be used?
- Tear Troughs*
- Nasolabial folds (the lines alongside the nose down to the sides of the mouth)
- Smoker’s lines
- Marionette lines (lines from the corners of the mouth to the chin)
- Fine lines that are not fully relaxed with Botox® Cosmetic or Xeomin®
Will I look like myself after I am injected?
Most people want to look like themselves, just a little refreshed. The best way to explain how fillers will enhance one’s appearance is to look at a picture of yourself from ten years ago and look at the area that bothers you the most. See how the area has changed with time. Our goal is to restore the volume of the face to where it was 5-15 years ago while maintaining your natural features (*).
What To Expect
- A consultation is required for all patients to review one’s medical history and to determine which product would be the best to address the area(s) of concern as well as to estimate how much product is needed to restore volume.
- Results are typically seen immediately but may take up to 72 hours to see the full effect (*).
- Product is sold by the syringe. Most patients will use 1-3 syringes depending on the amount of volume loss and the area(s) being treated (*).
How Long Will Results Last?
Belotero Balance® typically lasts 6 months (*).
Juvederm® typically lasts 6-12 months (*).
Radiesse® typically lasts 9-18 months (*).
Which dermal filler is right for me?
|Superficial Fine Lines||*|
- History of severe medication allergies or anaphylaxis
- History of active infection or uncontrolled diabetes
- Active cold sores or shingles in the treatment area
- History of allergies to gram-positive bacterial proteins
- Coumadin, Plavix, and Pradaxa use
- Common side effects include redness, swelling, bruising and mild tenderness. Redness typically resolves within a few hours and swelling within 72 hours.
- Bruising is common and can be mild to severe. To minimize bruising it is best to discontinue anti-inﬂammatory medications, aspirin, alcohol, ﬁsh oil and Vitamin E for two weeks prior to treatment. Do not discontinue medications without consulting your prescribing physician ﬁrst.
- If you have a history of cold sores or shingles at or near the treatment area an anti- viral medication may be prescribed to minimize the chance of an outbreak.
- In rare instances nodules may form and can be a long term side effect.
- Rarely, numbness at or near the treatment site may occur.
- Occasionally product may migrate away from the area where it was injected.
- With Radiesse there is the potential for a gel carrier reaction. If this occurs the area treated generally appears to have new tiny blood vessels form and may persist for several months or longer.
- Radiesse may be visible on x-rays and with other radiologic imaging. It is distinguishably different from natural body structures.
- As with any injection, infection is a potential but rare side effect.
What To Do After A Treatment
- The area may be iced for 15-30 minutes.
- To reduce the likelihood of bruising arnica montana may be used either orally or topically.
- Refrain from exercise, strenuous activity, sun exposure or tanning for 24-48 hours.
- Do not massage the treatment area for 6 weeks unless instructed to.
- Refrain from having a facial for 6 weeks.
- Refrain from laser or intense pulsed light treatments for a minimum of 2 weeks.
- Chemical peels and waxing may be performed once any inflammation from treatment has resolved and injection sites have healed.
If you experience an adverse effect, please contact us at 603-882-9334.